Thursday, February 4, 2010

How can you stop a neighbor from making false complaints to animal control?

What are the complaints about? Your recourse depends on the severity of the complaints being lodged against and or your animals. Animal control is like the police in that they need to respond to certain types of complaints no matter what. You can file harrassment charges against them. Sometimes you just cannot win. I once had this older neighbor that started calling animal control on me because he saw my Irish Setter puppies out once and thought they were the ones coming on his property and killing his chickens, They were never out front without me yet he insisted they were the responsible dogs. At the first visit from animal control I was advised to keep my pups in the back yard. He could still see them at the gate so he called again when he had a chicken disappear. The second visit I was advised to chain them in the back away from the gate. One morning I awoke with animal control at the door advising me my puppies were out and they were being seized. I took them out back and showed them the chains where the dogs had been restrained, the chains were not broken and the collars were intact. Another neighbor reported that Mr. Old Fart had come into my back yard and unchained my dogs. This went on until I filed trespassing and harrassment complaints against Mr. Old Fart. Then one day my dogs disappeared. I called animal control and they did have them, Mr. Old Fart had them pennedin his yard and had them hauled off. I asked about his chickens which kept coming into my yard and eating my grass seed, they said I had a right to protect my ';agriculture'; and I had the right to kill the chickens. For the next week I killed 10 chickens with a pellet gun. He finally penned them up, 2 days later animal control come by to check on the welfare of my dogs and caught a Lab from up the street trotting away with a chicken in it's mouth. I guess the point is, you cannot do anything about a stubborn neighbor other than put the shoe on the other foot, and let them know how it feels.How can you stop a neighbor from making false complaints to animal control?
If they are in fact false complaints then you should file for a restraining order and you could investigate whether you can file a harrassment suit against them.How can you stop a neighbor from making false complaints to animal control?
If they are false who cares, animal control will come out and look and not find anything and go on thier way.
In this fair land of ours, where the rich as well as the poor can be arrested for sleeping under bridges %26amp; stealing bread, you have very little Legal recourse. You can discuss this at length with a supervisor from animal control %26amp; possibly file a harrassment charge with the local courts but that's about the extent of your Legal recourse. You could always resort to 'other' measures, some extreme %26amp; some not, such as calling for their car to be towed to a repair shop far across town, every time they leave the house for a while or the old calling in an order for a dozen specialty pizzas every night to a different pizzeria, etc., etc., but barring those %26amp; a few other little, sneaky, underhanded tricks, you're really quite limited in what you can do to resolve the problem as I see it.
Explain to animal control what is happening. I've had this happen before too, the pool guy called them on our ancient (19 years old) and very frail cat. We simply told them she was old and sick and that all the other animals in the house were fine, healthy, and quite fat (well taken care of and loved!) and they were welcome to come by and check them all out if they wanted. Of course, I also mentioned that I was outraged and highly offended that someone would call. Then the pool guy was fired.





If you're not doing anything wrong, just explain it. The truth will set you free!
Animal control will eventually tire of these baseless complaints and stop listening to them.





You should also go down to animal control and explain the situation to them.





If they persists, you may want to file harrassment charges against them.
You can't.


But animal control can file for false reports on these neighbors if they continue reporting and the reports are false!

No comments:

Post a Comment