Thursday, February 4, 2010

Could being on birth control give false negatives?

I am on ';Yaz'; Birth Control and I have been for a little over 2 yrs.





In July I messed up a few pills and I only got my period for one day. I took a test to make sure and it said negative. So I went on taking the pill the right way and I kinda got my period a day late but it was only spotting for 3 days. AGAIN, I took a test about a day or 2 after the spotting and it was negative. However, I have been getting some pregnancy symptoms. Slight tenderness of the breasts, nausea and dizzieness started yesterday, VERY hormonal/emotional(I am not an emotional person normally except when I am pregnant), and pretty tired. I am going to wait and see what happens with this next period that should be coming in a week or so but I am just wondering if because I am on the pill if it would give false negatives on the tests. I also read that the periods you get on the pill aren't ';real'; periods. They are forced from the pill or something like that. So again I am wondering if I am pregnant and the pill is making me get my period when I shouldn't be. I don't know if this makes any sense and maybe I am being overly paranoid but I just want to make sure. I keep getting symptoms on and off and it is making me nuts! lol Thanks!Could being on birth control give false negatives?
You say you ';messed up'; how many days did you miss? You probably are paranoid. I do not think the pill will cause you to have false negative. I always get the symptoms you are talking about a week before my period and just because you didnt before maybe since you are worried you are more in tune to every little twinge. The older you get the more symptoms you have when you get your period. I used to have 3 day periods with no symptoms at all and now its 7 days with the first 3 and last day being hell. Could being on birth control give false negatives?
When your take the sugar pills, the last pills in the cycle and you have your ';period,'; that period is just from withdrawing from the pill. It is not a real period. The pill will not affect a pregnancy test because the hormone it tests for is not in the pill.





Hope this helps
I think you're just being paranoid. The pill shouldn't change the accuracy of a pregnancy test and if it says negative and you are still getting your period, I think you are in the clear. If you need more reassurance, ask your doctor to do a blood test. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment